Inostrancevia was a genus of large quadrupeds which lived in the Late Permian, some time before the first dinosaurs evolved.
They have large, strong jaws with a set of massive fangs at the front which are used to inflict great damage on the player. Inostrancevia also possess armor-like scales over most of their body, making them highly resistant but not invincible to weapons fire. Certain weapons have greater effects than others. They seem to prefer or even nest near warm environments as shown in-game, both encounters with these animals take place where an intense heat source is present (volcano).
Inostrancevia are always encountered in groups in the game, making them very dangerous in numbers.
They have three methods of attack. The first is a simple bite. The second is a running charge in which they charge and attempt to bite the player. The final attack is when the Inostrancevia rears up on its hind legs and falls on top of the player, taking multiple bites out of them. Players must mash the controls to struggle free of this attack.
A well-known tactic used in the game by players, is to flip the Inostrancevia over onto its back using the "Chain Mine" weapon. This exposes the creature's soft underbelly which can be fired at, damaging and ultimately killing it. Dylan's "Anti-Tank Rifle" and Regina's "Missile Pod" are known by players to be the most effective weapons in dealing with the Inostrancevia.
The scientists of the 3rd Energy facility had observed these quadrupedal creatures, which first believed as herbivores. However, it soon became clear to them that Inostrancevia are carnivores, with the creature's biteforce is strong enough to crush a helmet.
The Inostrancevia are first encountered in the middle part of Dino Crisis 2, and also appear later on towards the end.
- They are first encountered by Dylan, while following David Falk's markings through the jungle. The route through the jungle leads into a cave, which turns out to be a volcano as lava is flowing out like rivers. The Inostrancevia appear as you progress through the volcano.
- The second and final encounter is within the missile silo, after Regina has battled the Giganotosaurus and the facility is in flames with the missile being destroyed. Regina makes her escape through the fire and runs into many Inostrancevia, appearing out of damaged vents and holes in walls.
- Along with the Allosaurus, Mosasaurus, Triceratops and Giganotosaurus Dino Files, the Inostrancevia Dino File is obtained before actually encountering them.
- The Inostrancevia serves as a playable character in the "Dino Colosseum" minigame. It is more powerful than the Velociraptor but not as tough as the Tyrannosaurus.
- Despite the namesake of the game itself and its creatures, Inostrancevia is the only prehistoric animal before the dinosaurs to appear in the game.
- Inostrancevia is described to have durable armored skin and is depicted as being slow with an omnivorous diet, but in reality, this creature along with other gorgonopsids didn't possess such protection, instead they were very agile and all were predators.