Ibis island was a tropical island under the control of the Borginian Republic. The island was exclusively used for military research and only housed military and research facilities. The reason for this was to prevent intelligence leaks.[excerpt 1] There was a large Ibis bird population on the island, hence the name. The island's jungle hid the facility and allowed it complete secrecy until rumors about the Borginian Republic developing secret weapons became well known.
Established in 1999, this island facility was built to create second generation weaponry for the Borginian Republic.[excerpt 2] Around 2006, the island welcomed Dr. Edward Kirk, the pioneer behind Third Energy. Though Third Energy was itself a means of generating energy, the military made its usefulness as a weapon the core subject. In the first experiment there was a power overload which destroyed the testing facility completely, with the underground tunnel linking it to the main complex collapsing.[excerpt 3]
In 2009 a second experiment took place in the forest to test out the stabiliser. An accident took place which created a space-time anomaly within a radius of 500m of the generator, and a 0.7 km2 area of Cretaceous jungle replaced what once was there, complete with wildlife.[excerpt 4] The facility was soon after overrun by the dinosaurs expanding across the island, and the staff were forced to flee, taking heavy casualties. Later that night, a special forces team sent to abduct Dr. Kirk and steal his research found themselves alone, surrounded by hungry and territorial animals. Capturing Kirk early the following morning, the team escaped via helicopter, leaving the island devoid of human life.
As seen in the map above, the island was particularly small, only two kilometres in diameter.
- In Ending 1, a small area of land surrounding the facility is vaporised by a Third Energy overload. However, the director Q&A section of the Dino Crisis 2 Official Guide Book confirms this to be non-canon, with Ending 3 as the canon ending.
- The naming of the island is a pun made by Capcom. The Ibis birds are referred to as toki (とき) in Japanese. This word is also the Japanese word for "when" (時 toki ), thus referencing the time-travel element. It was decided to name the island after the Ibis bird so it would make a reasonably-sounding animal-based place name like Resident Evil's Raccoon City.[excerpt 5]
- ?, ed (1999) (in Japanese). DINO CRISIS OFFICIAL GUIDE BOOK. Famitsu. ISBN 9784757205147.
- (in Japanese) Dino Crisis: Prologue to Escape. Media Factory. 1999.
- (in Chinese) Dino Crisis: Perfect Clear Guide. 1999.
- ↑ Excerpt from DINO CRISIS OFFICIAL GUIDE BOOK, p.188:
Q13. アイビズ島には、 ボルジニア共和国の軍事施設しかないのでしょうか？ ほかの施設や住居、 店舗などもあるのでしょうか？
A13.軍事施設しかありません。 施設は最高機密あつかいなので、 情がもれる可能性は極力排除しているのです。
- ↑ Excerpt from Perfect Clear Guide, 008: "大約在十年前、為了開發次世代的武器而開始啟用此地。目前的研究主題是第三類能源的研究開發以及富作兵器的利用方式。"
- ↑ Excerpt from Perfect Clear Guide, p.008: "三年前博士來到這座島上首次進行實驗的地點。當時因為能量失控而使得整座建築受到破壞。碓然它仍然以地下道和研究所相互連接、 但是如今此地己經不再使用、只留下燒過的原跡。".
- ↑ Excerpt from Perfect Clear Guide, p.008: "在蕾吉娜等人潛的常天晚上、 這裡正在進行第三類能源安定装置的實驗。在實驗中突然發生意外、使得當地發生了小規模的時空轉移。以實驗場為中心、直徑一公里為範圍的區域都變成了白亞紀的世界。"
- ↑ Excerpt from OFFICIAL GUIDE BOOK, p.187:
"A12. アイビズとは、 島の《トキ》を意味します。 《絶滅》を暗示しているのか、 それとも《時》にかけているのか……と、 ネーミングの理由はいろいろ想像できると思いますが、 基本的にはきれいな語感の言葉、 ということで選びました。 それにしても、 バイオハザードの 「ラクーンシティ」 と言い、 動物好きな人間が多いのでしょうか。"